RESEARCH FOCUS AND INTERESTS
I recently completed my PhD (publication due) in the field of Film- and Media Studies at the University of Tübingen under the able guidance of Prof. Dr. Susanne Marschall.
The title of my Doctoral Thesis is “The Becoming of a Hero. Identity conflicts in contemporary Hindi cinema“. In my thesis, I focus on the following issues:
- Identity and identity conflicts
- Culture and cultural conflicts
- The phenomenon of Othering
- Discourses on nationalism and evolution of Indian nationalism
- Instruments of discrimination: Religion, Caste, Gender and Intersectionality
- Modernity and Globalization conflicts
- Evolution of Indian cinema and different genres, meta-genres
In addition to my interest in Indian cinema, I have other diverse research interests in the field of Media Studies. Some of the I topics that I am interested in are :
- Serial storytelling
- Emergence of streaming platforms and Television on Demand
- Erinnerungskultur or Remembrance culture
- Representations of Jewish culture in recent television serials
- German series focussing on Post-War Germany
- Polarisation of Media
- Social Media and Rise of Populism
- Media systems and media ethics
- Ēkākī nārī. Satyajit Rays einsame Frauen im Aufbruch zur Eigenständigkeit in the series Film Konzepte, Journal Nr. 39. edition text + kritik, Boorberg Verlag, München. 2015. (Pg. 37-54)
- FOTOS From Germany South Asia Tour: Unterrichtsvorschläge Porzellan. Edited by Goethe Institut, Hueber Verlag and Pasch. Goyal Publishers, New Delhi. 2010.
CURRENTLY WORKING ON:
- Doctoral Thesis : The Becoming of a Hero. Identity conflicts in contemporary Hindi cinema.
- Das doppelte Schweigen: Erinnerungskultur in Indien. (appearing in 2022 in the Anthology “In Erinnerung bringen: Medienkulturen im Wandel”, Ed. Susanne Marschall, Herbert von Halem Verlag, Köln.)